Thursday, January 17, 2013

Parks and Sharks With Woody Allen


A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies.



I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable. 

Sun is bad for you. Everything our parents said was good is bad. Sun, milk, red meat... college. 

I can't enjoy anything unless everybody is. If one guy is starving someplace, that puts a crimp in my evening. 

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. 

You know, I don't think I could take a mellow evening because I - I don't respond well to mellow. You know what I mean? I have a tendency to - if I get too mellow, I - I ripen and then rot, you know. 

Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's, yes I have to invent, of course I - I do, don't you think I do? 

To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be happy one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness.

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet

all quotes by the great & terrible woody allen

previous next