Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gardening with Lola Moon


Lola and I have begun a garden. We are taking care of our large, San Diegan backyard, full of bramble and weed and bluster and cat poop, dog poop and our dead and buried kitten, Boo. We have raked and hoed and cleared and mulched and were able to plant our first batch of vegetables, in 16 rows of hills, five seeds in each, preparing for the abundance of home grown organic cucumber. Lola says soil tastes as good as chocolate. We crouch in the dirt with our gloves on, eventually taking them off. Dirt fills our nails. Our cats weave in and out of the perimeter. The dogs come over and sniff our legs. Lola sets her favorite doll, Abigail, off to the side as she pokes each seed in the dirt. Mr. Curry makes dinner, comes out to help water. The sun is setting. My arms ache from raking. Lola is singing. Dirt smells sooo good, she says. The sun sets and Karate Chop meows at Hermione to nurse. The dogs bark. We go inside to wash hands and eat. I have that amazing peaceful feeling that comes from leaving something better than as you found it.

Next: Planting Peppers, Preparing holes and mulch for bulbs
Annje said...

There is something so satisfying in a garden...in growing something that you can eat. My plan is to have one next spring. Glad you had a peaceful evening.

Lacey said...

I never leave my gloves on for very long, either. Dirt beneath the nails is a small price to pay for dirt between the fingers. :-)

Boozy Tooth said...

Gorgeous written images. But do have a quick talk with Lola about the taste of dirt. In NO WAY does it taste like chocolate - cat and dog poop aside.

Zip n Tizzy said...

One of those wonderful gifts we have in CA... Year round gardening.
How nice you have a gardening pal.

*mary* said...

Dirt does smell good, doesn't it? I think so. I hope to garden with my daughter more next year. She was still a little too young and easily distracted this year.

Elizabeth said...

Sigh. I need to do the same in my backyard.

Darcy said...

What a lovely snippet of life and its moments.

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Gardening is so good for the soul!

Mwa said...

Heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're on a good roll! Can't wait to hear more...

Ms. Moon said...

Gardening with gloves on is like walking on the beach in shoes. I cannot do it and neither can you or Lola. This work will sustain you and your words about it have soothed me.

michelle said...

Dirt does smell good. I wish we lived in a place where I could garden year round. I tend to get overwhelmed with the frenzy of last frosts and first frosts and cramming it all in between.

jennifer said...

it's a beautiful thing!

Sarcastic Bastard said...

What a good lesson for Lola, Maggie. You are a good mom.

Love,

SB

Steph(anie) said...

I completely agree with Lola about the smell of dirt. :)

Meghan Elaine said...

What a special thing to share with your daughter~

Maggie May said...

Alix = laughing!

Maggie May said...

Gardening is so peaceful and relaxing. Just wish my body didn't react to the strain of it!
Your post was very relaxing to read.
Nuts in May

Lola said...

So awesome, ladies!! That is one of the best things to do with your kids. I grew up on a farm, so we were always planting and harvesting our lives away.

Once we built our house, I set out to have gardens everywhere. Well, they are everywhere now, which means a lot of upkeep, but our son is out there with me all the time. Digging in the dirt soothes the soul!!!

Annie said...

I've always wanted to garden, but never have. Thank you for sharing yours!

redsneakz said...

I guess that one of the things I miss by being in an apartment is that there's no gardening opportunity for me - but I would be truly lying if I said that I loved to garden. Sigh. It's just not the same with the heavy, red clay soil here in the Old Dominion.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

My kid and I always start our gardening with that lovely smell of turned soil, the promise of new seeds, and ripening vegetables and then it quickly becomes all about me getting "accidentally" sprayed down with the hose.

Laura said...

I loved this post.... I miss gardening. The picture of Lola gardening is so peaceful.

previous next