Sunday, January 17, 2010

enough bookshelves

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen

via we<3it



via we<3it


via we<3it

crowded room via we<3>

selena lake via we<3it

justmakingourway said...

Beautiful. I love the one with the trees. Although it makes me sad that there might not be any more people around in that world. No one left to read those books.

saracita said...

This is how I was raised! I like the one with the trees best, too.

Elizabeth said...

I'm in heaven with these pictures.

Ellen said...

Books have been the dearest of friends from the time I could thumb my way through their pages..I can never get enough. My son, not so long ago, couldn't get enough of books either. He went through them like water and I kept pouring as needed. When he turned 13 he stopped...except for required school reading....he reads music now...but I know the magic of reading is still there and will find it's way back into his life. I will never buy those electronic book readers...I must have pages with texture, smell, the markings or inscriptions of previous readers....rereading, rereading....thank you for the your post today.

Vic said...

Here, here!!!

I am dreaming of walls of bookshelves when we move - the actual building of them is fastforwarded in my head though... I wonder how that will happen...?!

Lisa said...

Comforting yet haunting. Those books on the shelves.

What is Reality Anyway? said...

gorge!

Nancy C said...

I dream of rooms like this.

Laura said...

Oh, to dream the dream! Books, books, and more books! That's my Disneyland.

Captain Dumbass said...

I love your library pictures. They make me want to buy more books.

Tiffany Kadani said...

I love books and I love the colors that decorate a room from a bookshelf. Nothing says comfort like rows of bookshelves.

Elisabeth said...

I'm captivated by the room with trees, too. Strange when we worry about wasting paper we talk about killing trees. Here both sit, side by side. Wonderful.

Hannah Stephenson said...

EEE!!!

These are all wonderful. Can I please play in all of them?!

Thanks for sharing these shelves.

* said...

Always loved that quote. Mmmm.

Still Life With Coffee said...

Nirvana!!!!!!

Annje said...

That's my idea of decoration too.

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

That is a wonderful quote and beautiful pictures... I love the smell of a book, old or new.

Angie Muresan said...

Ah! Indeed lovely images... I cannot imagine existing without books in my life.

Ellie said...

Mmm. that's how I like to live.

Move said...

love all the photos, very inspiring!

xxx

Juniper said...

A slightly unnerving first picture but yes- bookshelves... how important they are. I so like the picture with the tree in it! I hope somehow my children all inherit the love of that expansive magic world of books, the other people one can meet, places and landscapes you can experience without ever having to get up out of your chair.

Cid said...

How gorgeous and I love the quotation. One can never have too many bookshelves or books to put on them. I have been working on a similar post but it is more a rant about designers who colour code their bookshelves or replace all the covers with white paper. Sacrilege!

Anonymous said...

Love them..... I want more.

Vashti said...

LOVE!

KP said...

amazing quote-and I love all of these images xo

Brandi said...

There's no such thing as too many shelves lined with too many books in my world. I'd love to have a library in my home one day. There would just be books flowing off the shelves, packed in there to be discovered.
And if I could plant a tree in the middle of the room, that'd be pretty cool too.

Caroline said...

Oh how I love bookshelves..and books, especially old ones! If you ever walk into a home and it just doesn't feel right, look around. If there are no books, that's why. Something i've just noticed over the years...

Lauren said...

LOVE the quote used, AND all the pictures

krista said...

that room with the trees???
swoon swoon swoon

Lemon said...

oh, i agree whole-heartedly!

Rebecca said...

I know this is so very lame but I used to watch Gilmore Girls and when Rory went to the Yale campus she stood in front of one of their HUGE libraries and her mom was like, this is only one of like a dozen libraries and Rory said something like "Woohh, how will I ever begin to read them all" and she was so overwhelmed by what she has yet to read she just wanted to get in that library and start reading..........Sometimes I feel that way about books, libraries, and blogs.

Maggie May said...

i LOVE Gilmore Girls!

Phoenix said...

That library with the trees....beautiful. Just beautiful.

Darcy said...

mmmmm, i can smell them! love the colors too and the antique look of many of these pictures. i can't wait till i OWN a home and can paper the walls in bookshelves!

Unknown said...

i really love the one with the tree in the middle! so tolkien-esque! Hx

Bee said...

What glorious, glorious pictures.
We have exactly the same aesthetic!

Theresa Milstein said...

There's something about seeing a room full of books...


I agree with just making my way, the tree one is beautiful.

During one of my big moves, I had to let a lot of books go. Mostly it was old college textbooks, but parting with them was almost more difficult than actually moving.

previous next