Wednesday, October 5, 2011

10:00 PM

the evening turns to night.
a tangy darkness, a touch of aubergine.
shadows move richly on soft, deft strokes
into the places most lived on my hands.
i am sitting awake,
in the deeply sleeping home of my family.
my body flutters underneath me.
i run fingers through my hair,
touch the bruise across my thigh.
the heavy root of milky breast
hangs dense and fat over my abdomen.
i sense that i am not my own,
that my body still is hers.
the breeze moves from our screen
across her mouth,
open like the tiny sail
of a boat across the sky.
my baby cries so quietly.
she knows i am already there.


maggie may ethridge
one woman, telling the truth about my life
Ms. Moon said...

"She knows I am already there."
Peace.

Caroline said...

Beautiful! Beautiful words from the heart of a loving mother...

xo

Ramona Quimby said...

O.

Just that: an open mouth, a breath taken in.

Phoenix said...

Beautiful. Things seem very calm and still with you right now - I love it. :)

Annie said...

I love the mood and reflection in this poem, the image of the tiny mouth, and the final line. I also love this line: "the heavy root of milky breast hangs dense and fat" I think you could cut the next three words of the line, and keep the poem's momentum. Also, this streamlining combines the beautiful images of the 1st and 2nd lines: "the evening turns to tangy darkness, a touch of aubergine" It's wonderful to read one of your poems again!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. Always love your images.

Anonymous said...

the breeze moves from our screen

i have been there.
oh maggie!
love it!

aubergine

deft strokes
into the places most lived on my hands.

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful!

Lone Star Ma said...

Beautiful.

previous next