Friday, September 12, 2014

People In Your Neighborhood


Dylan Landis new novel Rainey Royal was released this week and I am reading it this weekend! Read an interview with her on Rob Mclennan's blog. 

I can't state enough how much I really adore Lena Dunham. I have an enormous, head and heart crush on her for many reasons, including that she is she is an insanely gifted artist through many venues. This feature on her in her NYT is so good and says many things I also believe about Lena, including:

Dunham is an extraordinary talent, and her vision, though so far relatively narrow in focus, is stunningly original. For all the comparisons to Ephron and even to independent female filmmakers like Nicole Holofcener and Miranda July, the artist to whom she’s most analogous is Allen. With her awkward screen presence, her preoccupation with sex, her frank exploration of her own neuroses and, above all, her willingness to play the part of herself almost to the point of caricature, Dunham has ensured that her work be guided by her own persona, which in turn has been shaped by the twin forces of profound anxiety and exhaustive (though, again like Allen, somewhat roving and undisciplined) intellectual engagement. Plus, of course, extensive therapy.


Ethan Hawke on Robin Williams, saying what I also believe, that anyone really looking could see how much Robin was suffering. I always thought of that song 'the tears of the clown' from the 80's when I saw him being zany. 

This love story between two people in their twilight years is so damn life affirming. LOVE LIVES

What a fascinating story: The Strange Tale of the North Pond Hermit which includes this brilliant, beautifully expressed revelation:

"I did examine myself," he said. "Solitude did increase my perception. But here's the tricky thing—when I applied my increased perception to myself, I lost my identity. With no audience, no one to perform for, I was just there. There was no need to define myself; I became irrelevant. The moon was the minute hand, the seasons the hour hand. I didn't even have a name. I never felt lonely. To put it romantically: I was completely free."

I am watching documentaries almost every night, and this one on a Civil War shipwreck and modern day gold hunt was so brain good. BRAIN LIKE. BRAIN HAPPY. 

previous next