Thursday, February 3, 2011

Valentines For Kate: An Act of Love

kate mcrae

Ever is siting in my lap and watching the screen as I type. I'm thinking about love because it's the month of love and because Lola's 9th birthday is coming up this Monday and because I just had a baby and because a lot of hard things are happening to people around me and because my husband is sick and I'm grumpy today and those kind of days are about love, too, in their way; they are the part of love that is sticky. Not the snotty kind of sticky, but the '
i feel really obnoxious and irritable and even the direction that your neck hair is growing in is ticking me off ' kind where you feel that way but you still kiss your husband goodnight. On the cheek, so you don't get the baby sick.

There are all kinds of love in this world and no one disputes that one of the most powerful loves in the world is the love of a parent for their child. Maybe the most powerful. I'm not a parent snob who thinks all humans need to have babies to really know love, but it's pretty clear that it's at the tippy top of the human love ladder.

Kate Mcrae is the little 5 year old blondie you see whenever you visit, on the left side of my sidebar, where is says pray for Kate. The reason prayers are requested is because about a year ago, Kate was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. You can read more about it and see pictures of their beautiful family at Pray For Kate. The day after her diagnosis I heard of her story and have followed it since, here at Caringbridge. Her Mom and Dad did what moms and dads do and went to Heaven and back to get Kate the best possible top notch latest treatment for this awful cancer, and when they updated this week with the news that that treatment, which has in itself cost Kate so much, has not worked, it was devastating news. I know in my life I have suffered, but to even begin how to cope with my baby girl begging me to tell her why she still has cancer, and why Jesus didn't heal her, is not a darkness I can begin to imagine how a person bears. I imagine that it is only love that can be offered and only love that can, at all, bear them through this. They are a very faithful family and their religious beliefs have been central to their journey through this.

So I thought: Let's send Valentines to Kate. Let's send messages of love and support and caring in whatever way we like to Kate and her family- she has a sister, Olivia, and a brother, Will- to let them, and especially little Kate, know that they are cared for, they are thought of and prayed for, they are held in not only their faith but in the hearts of many.

Send your Valentine to:

Aaron McRae
2211 E. Pecos Rd Suite #2
Chandler, AZ 85225
Elizabeth said...

I will do so. It's a beautiful idea, Maggie. Thank you.

Drax said...

I can do that.

Unknown said...

will do .

Caroline said...

We're on it! I'm getting the crayons out for the girls right now. Great idea, Maggie. This is beautiful way to use your blog space. Sending love...

Mandy_Fish said...

Chills. I can do that too. I'll put my Cracky to work.

Maggie May said...

Lola and I are making one today

previous next