Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer in the Suburbs

Summertime true and hot has begun. I think it is the Southerner in me that doesn't feel the Summer until it is fang deep in my bones, where the world tilt a whirls, creeps into your pores and sweats out on the white cotton pillow of morning. The girls are in dresses and bloomers and sticky tank tops, Mr. Curry is shirtless watering the plants and dirtgrasses, the dogs are panting and resting their underbellies on the cool kitchen floor. A deep cellular headache blooms from the swampy heat that gives way to a clean, pan hissing hot. The front yard is littered with buckets of dirt and flowers, fairy soups and small hard figurines of horses, hula hoops and a half collapsed swim pool for babies. Ever nurses naked against me after her bath at 7pm, clean but already a slight sweat on the top of her head, completely blissful on the queen sized soft bed with the fan humming. I hear Mr. Curry in the next room, back and forth from the barbeque and the kitchen, Lola and a friend giggling. Ian is at camp, Dakota in Hawaii with his Dad and Grandparents. Mr. Curry and I find each other at every opportunity, exhausted and stinky and half threshed from the heat, but never tired of each other's bodies.

Summer is here.
Elizabeth said...

a beautiful, visual paean to summer Maggie!

Unknown said...

"never tired of each other's bodies."

I love you!

Ms. Moon said...

Hoo yah. Most of my babies were conceived in summer's deepest heat. This is a beautiful piece, Maggie, and I understand it to my old southern woman bones.

37paddington said...

just gorgeous.

Petit fleur said...

Fill up that kiddie pool, break out the watermelon and let the good times roll.

xo

Jason, as himself said...

I love summer! This is my favorite description of summer that I can remember.

I'm Katie. said...

You brought that beautifully home, bone-deep. *stretch, yawn* Gods, I love summer.

Elisabeth said...

This brings back a longing for summer in me, Maggie, frozen as I am in the pangs of a Melbourne winter.

Vodka Mom said...

and isn't life grand......

Phoenix said...

Beautiful. This post had a very Tennessee Williams feel to it... I love it.

Caroline said...

as a southerner this speaks to me. I guess we know a thing or too about the sexy in sweaty. LOVED this, Maggie.

Anonymous said...

So I was reading this in the kitchen, flitting up and down and back and forth to the sink to finish dishes. My husband came in for coffee and sat down and read it and wanted me to tell you that he thinks your writing is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the images you conjure. And since I know the weather where you live...it's even more real to me. Beautiful writing as always.

Maggie May said...

Silver- Tell him this is the best compliment I can receive, next to one about my children.xo

previous next