Tuesday, May 11, 2010

breakfast with a writer

i told you this:
i make eggs from Cornish hensand added quickly
i mean this literally.later we ate at 8 am
in the light of non light of kitchen
you cracked your egg
pressed your finger into the yolk
slid the yellow sun through your lips
with a great sucking swallow.
i sat back arms crossed
and made eye contact
through the not sun and not light
finally obtaining proof
of your eager consumption
of myself.
and you smiled weakly
unsure of the balance of power
or the possible meanings of your toast.

maggie may ethridge
Maggie May said...

DEAR BLOGGY FRIENDS

i have no internet access right now!
forgive my lack of communicado.

love
maggie

izzabitz said...

Wonderful poem! I love the last line.

the real mia said...

perfect poem

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

Internet access or not, your connection to the poetic other side of daily life is fine and healthy

Anonymous said...

haha. i enjoy so much sooo much your brain!!
i love your writes!!

Elisabeth said...

Every day is a day ahead. It's wonderful to read the density of your poetry, all against the context of your life.

Annie said...

I like the sense of empowerment in this poem, the subtle humor, and the something that is not said, that keeps me guessing.

jennifer said...

egg-cellent!
sorry, i couldn't help myself!!

Wine and Words said...

light of the non light....
I am still wraping my mind around this, happily adjusting my natural instincts. And the sucking swallow yolk, which I have never, could never, but now, in a sense, have...

* said...

you cracked your egg
pressed your finger into the yolk
slid the yellow sun through your lips
with a great sucking swallow.

Divine, Maggie.

La Belette Rouge said...

Breakfast auguralogy! I have heard of reading tea leaves but never toast.;-)

Julia Christie said...

Very t.s. eliottish.
I like.

Smiles miss maggie may!

Steph(anie) said...

Aaaaahhh...

justmakingourway said...

Hope you get your internet access back up soon!

Now I want eggs and toast.

Rachael said...

I love this one! I read it this morning when Blogger kept eating my comments, but it made such an impression, I remembered to come back and tell you - it's one of my favorites of your poems. The last line is perfect, and of course has me wondering what it all means! =)

Bird Bath said...

I like it Maggie.

Menina said...

This made me smile. I like the way you think, Maggie.

previous next