Saturday, May 1, 2010

the eye

the best indicator is the skin around the eyes.
not the eyes themselves, not the still circle within
a circle, maybe the absence of rolling, like the
horse between the rope and the side of the cliff.
it is the skin that relaxes, the cells within the skin
the cells within.

and the eyes are released like fish from the net
flying through the air quickening to the wet.

this is how i know i can touch you again, bring
my hands to your chest, the rough of your jawline
the exhausted mouth which has permanently worked
it's way inward, a sceloderma and scar, a place which speaks
to all that is hard.

and your hands move quick and irreverent
as if they refuse to remember what i cannot forget.

maggie may ethridge
Rebecca said...

This one really speaks to me. It's by far my favorite.

Still Life With Coffee said...

lovely... totally lovely. <3

Ann Imig said...

and my eyes, today, are so very very tired.

(thanks much for stopping by my blog!)

* said...

"a place which speaks
to all that is hard"

This poem says so much, I feel it. Wordsmith, you.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, love.
Oh. Love.

Bee said...

One of your best, in my humble opinion. It rings with truth -- the images so clear, the words so well-chosen.

Diana Mieczan said...

Wow...what a great post! Have a great weekend and thank you for your sweet comment! Hope to see you soon....:)It made me very happy:)
Kisses,
Diana

Therese said...

you are an artist.

katydidnot said...

the exhausted mouth...

Maybe one of the best lines I've ever read.

I love it when you write.

isabelle said...

wonderful....

Claire Beynon said...

Intimacy and observance go hand-in-hand here, Maggie - what a powerfully moving poem.

Beth said...

The eyes and the hands - they both possess the capacity to "see."
So well done.

Lydia said...

Yes, Maggie, this is my favorite among your poems. There is something about this one that sets it apart from the rest. Personal, yet universal. Spare. Polished.

Anonymous said...

"the absence of rolling..." lovely.

Karlijn22 said...

Wow what a comparing between an eye and fish.. Good Poem!

Maybe someone can check out my blog?
www.karlijnvb.blogspot.com
i want your (can be everbody) opinion

Claire Marie said...

Amazing. I don't have anything constructive to offer, I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed it. Very much.

Anonymous said...

i do love the 1st stanza.... SOOO MUCH!!

you are my goddess. my muse forever!
much love, dearling, and courage!!

yolanda

Wine and Words said...

And this is how I know I can touch you again...

Yep, the eyes have it! Agreed. Loved the line about the irreverent hands. I crave this at times. Receive it too :)

Annie said...

Hi Maggie,

Your poem expresses so many emotions. I love how it moves from detailed (poetic) observation, at a slow pace, in the first stanza, to the transition:

"and the eyes are released like fish from the net
flying through the air quickening to the wet"

Those lines say so much, and then, you move the reader through the reality, with fast, spare images-

But that's just a brief structural analysis.

This is another of your powerful poems, beautifully and honestly told, that chronicles and respects a relationship.

Phoenix said...

Gorgeous poem, Maggie May. So beautiful, very dark but somehow comforting.

Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

I love reading your poetry.

e.

previous next