Tuesday, March 1, 2011

the milkmaid

take this nested breast
flower cream, or blood colored nipple
watch our bodies make these ripples

over sheets so white and clean.

my love i know i am far away
the babies squall mouthed suck
always before your hands

always before your eyes.

the house is a jungle forest
water steams from teenage dreams
showers that last longer than dinner

cooks with tears and breastmilk.

but between us
there is a non calculated symmetry
between late and never made it at all

a collective groan of longing

her cries rise like tiny balloons
popping over our heads
she is the queen

i am the milkmaid in your bed.

maggie may ethridge
Rebecca said...

This is so sweet and I just love it.

Alli Easley said...

Aw. I ♥ this. And you.

Vashti said...

LOVE! xx

Anonymous said...

oh wow--- i missed your poems so much!! as always excelent!! sent you a letter... will reach you soon

but between us
there is a non calculated symmetry


love this poem and love you!!
yolanda

Ms. Moon said...

Lovely, perfect perfection, Maggie May.
This may be my favorite poem of yours that I have ever read and that is saying something.

Annie said...

Hi Maggie,
I like the imagery in this poem, and the longing, and the family setting.

Caroline said...

"her cries rise like tiny balloons popping over our heads"...I love this.
Words are your magic, Maggie.
xo

Middle Child said...

so beautiful - I used to write about my children and family - haven't been able to write beautiful stuff since my husband was killed - sure hope the urge returns soon

previous next