Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spring Is Here, Even If The Money Isn't

self portrait in pastels


A small surge of energy. Our family is stirring. Spring is here. I feel it because I want my husband. Because last weekend I dragged Lola soaking wet out of the shower, threw a towel around her and ordered her to watch her sister who had fallen asleep in the baby swing, while pushing Mr. Curry toward the bed with the other hand. 8 to 10 of the best minutes I've had in a long time. When you have an infant, and a daughter on the couch announcing to her brother that Mom and Dad need to be alooooonnnneee, quickies have to be quick.

Lola has taken to leaping around the house doing dance moves that defy explanation. Last nite in the shower she was singing at the top her lungs " life is good / life is good / oh baby, life is so good " and when she hopped into bed, hair soaking wet, she announced that marrying daddy was the smartest thing you've ever done ! She also informed me that after thinking about it a lot, she realized that my childhood was really good. I haven't had any major things go wrong. I have a family that loves me and just keeps growing and getting through hard times. She's nine, so I hope we can keep up this impression until puberty hits.

I started back to work yesterday and received some bad news. My hours have temporarily been cut in half. Not only mine, but all the girls who work in the baby room. We only have a handful of babies and too many teachers, so the solution was to give us all reduced hours until May, when one of our teachers is leaving. Meanwhile, we're royally screwed. We meaning Mr. Curry and I. Anyone need a writer to write? I'm up for hire.

This weekend Mr. Curry and I are working out a schedule for me to finish my novel. I hate schedules. But I hate not finishing this novel more. So something very mature and structured will occur, where I write from 5-7 four days a week or 6-7 five days a week etc.

The dogs are starting to scratch their arses again, which means fleas, probably. Sometimes you have to have a pain in the arse to signal a change for the good.
Rebecca said...

In that photo you look very young. Are you and Lola sisters?

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry to hear about the cut in your hours -- what a bummer. I'm so tired of financial anxiety. I know I have much to be grateful for, but a little bit more money or regular money or just a hit on the debt would be so damn helpful. I wish the same for you. And yay for the novel writing -- you go!

Maggie May said...

I wrote to Ellen in her 'help me!' section. Maybe we'll win a car!

well you can't blame me for trying!!!

Anonymous said...

I need to set a new writing schedule too, having gone back to work full time. Maybe your reduced hours will be one of those legendary "blessings in disguise" - more time to write and of course more time for being with the family - and more energy for schtupping ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, finances are a never ending pain in the butt. Sorry to hear about your cut in hours; hopefully something will come in to make up for it soon.

You have a beautiful family! Thank you for stopping by my blog; I love hearing from new visitors! :)

Laura said...

Being a new momma is looking good on you! I am sorry about the hour cuts... hopefully it won't be too awful for you guys. I am so tired of worrying about money!

Ms. Moon said...

If Maggie May is back wanting lovin' then all is not SO bad with the world.
I feel sure that something, somehow will work out. Now get writing!

Caroline said...

Oh Maggie! I am so sorry to hear about the work hours being reduced...but maybe, something in the universe is shifting in a way to make room for you to do something else too or in place of. I have always said I will be first in line to buy your novel and I mean it.
In the meantime, hang in there because I know first hand how badly it sucks to have the money tight.

a big xo to you and the fam.

bron @ baby space said...

Wow! Good luck with the novel. What a mission. Looking forward to reading more :)

Johanna said...

That little Lola is so sweet.
Sorry to hear about your work troubles. I hope everything starts looking up on that front.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

So sorry to hear about your hours, Maggie. I'm broke, too, due to credit card debit.

Grease Monkey GIRL said...

Is it possible for you to get a gig with babble? You have an amazing story, and the experience dealing with endometriosis (sp?) needs to be heard. just a suggestion ;)

Evangeline said...

Money has been on my mind quite a bit lately too. Sucks doesn't it? But sex has been on my mind too, and that one I like...

Glad to hear you're doing well despite the financial stuff.

Angie Muresan said...

You need to get on that schedule girl. You have more talent in your pinky than most of us have in our entire bodies. Get to work. It won't be long before you'll be published. Love you. Hugs.

Vodka Mom said...

spring has sprung, indeed.

x

Middle Child said...

Your Mr Curry sounds just lovely - and how wonderful to hear your daughter singing like that and telling you her truths

Petit fleur said...

Mags,

This is a very sweet snapshot. I love you.

One thing you can try is find people who need writers online. There is this one group I was looking into a while ago, and I cannot remember the name, but try Googling some different stuff like: Getting paid for blog articles... or different variations of that idea and see what comes up.

Good luck. You'll make it work!
xo

Maggie May said...

I have tried to get jobs online. Applied, emailed, checked back in. I've tried BĂ„bble twice.

Annie said...

Hi Maggie,
Lola is so wonderful. I was sorry to hear about your hours being cut, but maybe that will give you the time you need to stay on schedule, and keep moving in the direction of your writing.

previous next