Saturday, February 21, 2009

La Jolla Shores

To live is like to love- all the reason is against it, and all healthy instinct for it. - Samuel Butler





Looking after children is one way of looking out for yourself. - Ian McEwan





Scenery is fine- but human nature is finer. - John Keats




for whatever we lose (like a you or a me) / it's always ourselves we find in the sea- ee cummings
*poems 95 'maggie and milly and molly and may'*





I will go back to that great sweet mother, Mother and lover of men, the sea. -- A C Swinburne





There are only my children, and my love, and the great wide waters, and I am simultaneously awash in the ecstatic love, life!, and terrified with the primal and timeless knowledge of how briefly we are here. Time is short. I must love hard and fierce and well. I must not forget what matters, or be swayed into turning my light toward the darkness: I cannot outshine it! I will turn it toward what is already lit, the faces of my family, the molecule of this planet in body and soil and plant- so that it glows in a blaze so beautiful, I can live, and die by it: i can see the way.
- maggie may ethridge



I must go down to the sea again, for the call of the running tide / is a wild call and a clear call that may
not be denied.
- John Masefield


Vashti said...

STUNNING! you have such a beautiful family. I love the poetry.
Great job!

Anonymous said...

Some fervid looking kids. They must get that from their mother.
I liked your quote best, btw.
~Mary

Jeanne Estridge said...

And now I'm hungry for a glimpse of the ocean.

I love your poem.

Kurt said...

Great Images. Truly Beautiful.

Sharon said...

Love your beautiful photos but I really, really love your poem:)

Betsey said...

these are such beautiful pictures!
so so lovely.
thank you so much for your comment :) that is such a sweet thing to say, it made me smile!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful captured day, Those are the moments :)

Beautiful family and poem!

rachael chatoor said...

These are beautiful photos, I want to go play in the water now..

Magpie said...

I do so love the beach. That looks like a lovely day.

Unknown said...

Those quotes match so perfectly to the lovely photos! What fun!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. What wonderful photos and poetry, to boot! Thanks for visiting my blog, kindred spirit -- I am so happy to see yours and follow it. (By the way, I'm a ridiculous lover of owls -- had a collection when I was a preteen in the seventies before it was hip, I might add).

anymommy said...

You made me miss the ocean so much. Lovely.

Unknown said...

We loved seeing all of you! It looks like the beach was a ton -o- fun.

molly said...

excellent quotes.
i love quotes so much.
they always seem to say the RIGHT thing at the RIGHT time.

Chopstick said...

These photos are so beautiful! especially the ones of you and lola against that pretty wall. :)

Anonymous said...

Your sea is very beautiful. And your family and your obvious love.

Thank you for your comment on my poor poem.

My daughter is 16 now and my son 21 and dear lady, it gets better if that is at all possible... honest....but you have to try really really hard. A bit of advice. Use really sticky tape... It helps to post signs , i.e. boys will be shot... but for some strange reason these signs of mine keep on disappearing.

I am a big guy and the wimpy little friends (boys lately) of my daughter have to look up, way up to see the father... I have no pity and many squeak, i.e. "yes sir... No later than 9 Yes sir. would you mind sir if I drop by here at eight sir...OK bye sir...Right away sir.

I am not impressed but then I usually get an earful when SHE gets back... sigh...

Jenny Grace said...

As usual your pictures are wonderful, but I especially LOVE that first one of your feetsies.

Patois42 said...

Oh, those photos are divine! And your coupling them with others' words and then your own makes this one hell of a beautiful post.

la la Lovely said...

Cute pictures.. what fun! And I love that quote!
Have a great week.

Jennifer Sullivan said...

Your quote is just as lovely as the others you have included. What a great collage of life and words and love.

Annie said...

Beautiful pictures, quotes, and sentiments!

EVILFLU said...

Beautiful post! I absolutely love the first pic!

Bird Bath said...

the sea draws out something from me also. probably my favourite place to be.

Danette said...

This is a lovely post.

The Panic Room said...

I grew up in a beach town and now live just an hour drive away and almost never go. This post made me miss it so freaking much. Thanks for the reminder.

Holly said...

um, i LOVE your sweater!

Marinka said...

These are beautiful. And make me miss the ocean.

sarasophia said...

i eat your words as though they are the crumbs of a mystic cupcake.


thank you for sharing your poety.


--sarasophia

Leigh said...

what a gorgeous post. the photos and the quotes are just beyond. goosebumps of happiness!

Maggie Madison said...

Not sure whether your pictures bring a thousand words or your words bring a thousand pictures.

previous next