Saturday, April 11, 2009

All Weekend They Say To Themselves




with books in my lips and teeth pressed into my honey crotch open like lover's split over my face and delicious as skin to the tongue black words and fragrant pages asleep in the curl of arm my baby draped across naked breast my lover pressed against my forehead my teacher piled in shelves and tables my home i sleep in saturated thought technicolor dream words that mean everything or nothing lined erect with intellect, slutty drunken flings my mind bends, the soul swings, thoughts expand i am inch by inch absorbed and released again i read to understand but most of all to know once, someone understood.
-maggie may ethridge
xo
Ms. Moon said...

And someone asked the same questions we ask.

Lacey said...

Lovely.

Woman in a Window said...

holy freaken cow which words do i put together there must be a code but the code is in the reading and feeling

dangerously fun

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Beautiful words.

Anonymous said...

I love this... you are extremely talented - beautiful. Happy Easter :-)

Captain Dumbass said...

I'm tired tonight so I'm going to go have a slutty drunken fling with a couple books.

anymommy said...

Uh huh. I can't make a comment that pretty.

I used to adore the beginning of college semesters - the new books - just like this.

Vashti said...

AWESOME!

Sharon said...

I watched "Becoming Jane" last night about Jane Austen. Writing for women has not been easy. Women like Jane Austen paved the way for you to be able to express yourself with your beautiful and thought-provoking words. Could you imagine how torturous it must have been for the women in those days who wanted to write? Thank you again for sharing and yes, those books are precious.

Anonymous said...

Once again Mag... you make me wanna dig deep.

Light and Writing said...

you are always beautiful!

Irish Gumbo said...

Oh, lawd...you read my mind...and so in tune with my thoughts these days.

Beautiful, MM, just beautiful. I'm sending this link to a friend. :)

Deb said...

Brilliant from beginning to end. Especially liked "soul swings" ... surprising language pairs & placements is terrific.

(Thanks for the visit at Stoney Moss, too.)

Beth said...

And it's such a wonderful feeling when you find someone who does...

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i.am.there.

beautiful.

Emily A. Benton said...

very nice, Maggie!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites yet. xoxo

The Jacqueline Trash said...

oh wow. I love this! Whenever I read a line that I find awesome, I highlight said line. Since I can't really afford books, I get them from the library, which means that I can't underline the things that move me.

But I have my black little notebook that I always bring with me. It's my "Things that I would Highlight If I could afford Books Book". It's filled with lines, quotes, letters, words and thoughts that I read and loved somewhere.

I just copied your words. Loved them, "Highlighted" them, and put them in my little treasure of Letters.

previous next