Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chelsea's Body Has Been Found

In the shallow water shore of Lake Hodges.

All I can think of is her last moments here on Earth, and the living hell her parents entered today when the Chief of Police sat on the their couch and told them.



















Chelsea King, 17 years old.


Petunia Face said...

Oh Jesus Christ. No. From 600 miles away my stomach dropped reading that title.

abigail said...

horrible news. My thoughts are with her family. I cannot begin to imagine how devastated they must be.

Maggie May said...

I have the completely irrational feeling of wanting to go pick her up from the water and clean her up as if she wouldn't be dead if someone would do that. I don't know her. So I take this feeling that I have as a stranger and think how her parents feel, and it's unbearable to even imagine the tip of it.

krista said...

my heart. i think that once someone becomes a parent, it's hard to not feel a bit of the pain at the mere mention of the word 'body.'
fuck. i just feel like cussing a whole lot.
do they know what happened?

Julie@beingRUBY said...

So sorry to hear this news... I ache for her parents..

A.Smith said...

I just read on the web that her body was found. I am a very compassionate human being in just about any aspect concerning life, yet if that animal who didn't show a speck of remorse when he brutally assaulted a child and was given only six years in prison because of a lack of previous record in 2000 is not going to warrant the death penalty, then there is no point on having it on the books.

May he rot in hell for all the days beyond days and may those poor parents find some rest from the living nightmare the beast has caused. Sorry Maggie May but this in something I cannot be a Buddhist wanna be about.

Tiffany Kadani said...

My heart dropped when I read this today. I can't believe this. I pray for her parents and that in Heaven she is happy.

Allison the Meep said...

When I saw this on the news tonight, I thought of your post. What a horribly tragic thing to happen. My heart is broken for her family.

CitricSugar said...

We get a few american channels up here and I just saw it on the Detroit evening news a few minutes ago. My heart just hurts for her family. Words cannot describe how awful this must be for them.

Amy said...

My heart is in my stomach. The grief of her parents is unimaginable. The horror, the horror.

Unknown said...

There are not words...
Tears in my eyes as I read the devastating news today.

* said...

Maggie, I hear you.

Even the thought of the tip of her parents pain is unimaginable. Dreadful, sick, nightmare doesn't even begin to describe it.

La Belette Rouge said...

Heartbreaking.

The Beckster said...

So horrible. I just looked up the story and the saddest thing is these stories never end. It's a scary world.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, no. There is nothing, nothing to say about this.

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

No matter how much we can ever learn or whatever wisdom we may aspire to, I fear there is simply nothing, nothing, nothing that can prepare us to deal with something like this in our own lives, or perhaps even to know how to give comfort and solace when it happens in the lives of others.

Hold your loved ones close, Maggie May.

Batteson.Ind said...

.... there are no words... just... may peace with her and all her loved ones...

Lydia said...

Since your first post about Chelsea I have had an insatiable need to know how the hours changed this family's life forever. Monday night I absolutely could not sleep after spending time reading reports and watching a video of her parents and the sheriff being interviewed on a national morning show. Chelsea's mother sat in between the sheriff and her husband and each man held one of her hands...but she still looked unanchored as if she might simply float away.
And, now, that is my hope for how Chelsea left her beautiful life behind her.

Rianna said...

"Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future."
— Jonathan Safran Foer (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)

Terrible Terrible.
We lost a child in Queensland, Australia, some years ago. His name was Daniel Morcombe. The whole country rallied, and yet, years later, his body has not been found.
Speaking about it with my own Mum on several occasions, we both realised that we shared the belief that if only we could find him, and clean him, and hug him and cry over him and love him, we would be able to restore him to his poor, poor parents. They will suffer all the days of their lives until his remains are found and someone is brought to justice.
"Understanding" seems so foreign a word in circumstances such as these.

David Cranmer said...

I hope the bastard that did it gets no mercy.

Mel said...

Maggie, I was sick watching the news last night. News crews were interviewing her friends from Illinois when they got the text that she had been found. It was beyond heart wrenching to see and hear their pain. I am so weary of this screwed up system that lets repeat sex offenders loose on innocent girls. The random events that led her to his path are so cruel and I try not to think what she endured and try to think of her family, wishing them strength through this nightmare.

Anonymous said...

damn. Another sex offender let loose to run rampant and wield the sword of death. damn- makes me want to go conservative.

Ms. Moon said...

No. We can't imagine. We can't. How do you keep on living after something like that happens to your child? She is gone but they are here with no place to lay their grief, their love, their anger, their pain. No place of solace at all.

Evangeline said...

It makes my stomach hurt. Such loss. Hard to even fathom.

Drax said...

[ ].

"Thank you," MM.

Lola Sharp said...

Heartbreaking. Her parents...I weep for them, for their unbearable pain. I weep for poor Chelsea and how a pleasant run turned into a nightmare. Her blue eyes. I weep for all they never got to see.

I know I should be more loving, and I know this is bad karma to wish for, but I hope that a-hole gets raped and tortured in prison every single day. I hope when they put him in solitary that the rats chew on his flesh. And then I hope when he dies a miserable death, that there really is a hell, and he burns in it forever.
I'll accept the bad karma.

jennifer said...

This is devastating news!

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

Awfully sad news. I've had a couple friends who have gone through this and it is just heartbreaking.

Unknown said...

No, no, no!!! I saw the story on the news a few days ago and told my hubby about it. It's just so sick. Why do people do these things?

leel said...

i usually don't use this word in someones blog comment section that i just met online, but Fuck. Fuck.
there. and me too, to what you said above, me too.

redsneakz said...

It's impossible to understand how her parents must feel, yet I feel that my heart has been ripped out. Parents have a delicate balance that we have to make, and I fear that my childrens' teenage years will be somewhat more circumscribed because of things like this.

Laura said...

Oh, no, no, no. The world is full of sorrow.

Ellen said...

This is so heartbreaking...I never in my life would know how I would overcome such grief....

j said...

I read about this last night and I cuddled with my son for twenty minutes after.

The Roberts said...

I can't even imagine. I pray for her parents and family...

Still Life With Coffee said...

You are right, it is totally unbearable. Unthinkable. Terribly tragic.
Makes me never ever want to let my children out of my sight, but I know that isn't possible.

home girl said...

oh god this is unbearably horrible and so close to home for you. i hope you can try to not let the darkness perpetuate and take hold, try to block it and draw in strength and light instead, stop it pervading and growing.i hope these dark acts don't colonate in your mind to damage you and your family too. easier said than done - hope my thoughts make sense lots of love xx

Petit fleur said...

It is the worst possible nightmare/fear that we can possibly imagine as parents... or really, just loving beings. I imagine her friends and all her family are devastated.

I am so sorry for this.
xo pf

Maggie May said...

I wish all the collective deep love and compassion here and everywhere could do something to make this better for her parents.

I have the collective human pointless wishes. I wish someone had heard him attack her. I wish she had been able to rip off his dick and run. I wish he had had a heart attack and dropped dead before he hurt her. I wish she broke her ankle that day and couldn't go running. I wish we could do something.

Last night down the block from my house there was a memorial gathering for Chelsea of 1000s of people. I didn't know about it until 9pm and I was sad that I didn't go. It would have been good to be surrounded by the pain and the love to feel the community. Her parents were there. The mother....is not 'there'. She is somewhere else. Maybe she won't ever come back. That is what this kind of thing does. Suffering of a child. It destroys in a vile way that leaves no silver lining. My father did this to my sister and I haven't seen my sister in 7 years.
I might never see her again.

What kind of thing happens to a person like this man. What can we do with people like this who are so deeply wrong inside. There has to be a different answer than the one we are giving because these children are still being raped and killed and that is unacceptable to all of us.

I am going to see if I can do...anything. I can't just sit and watch the news when these things happen. I have to find a way to help.

Dakota said school was awful today. Weeping. News cameras. Announcements.

They watched Life Is Beautiful in English, in his class. I thought that was perhaps the wrong choice. I"m not sure. But that movie, however amazing it is- and I loved it- is about unrelenting suffering and the denial of such and how that denial doesn't work forever and how even when it works someone is paying dearly for it.

i love Chelsea. do you know what i mean? i love our children. all our children. i teach preschool. i don't like every child. but i love our children in a deep and soul primal way that goes beyond explanation. i love them all enough to change my life for theirs.

xo

Anonymous said...

I was hoping for a happy ending :-( My heart hurts for her parents.

adrienne said...

i didn't know hey had found her.

dear, god. may no one EVER have to go through this again.

ever, ever.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Maggie,
This particularly upset me too.

Therese said...

Sickening. What comfort can her parents possibly find? Ever? I don't understand how a human heart can endure such pain.
I know what you mean about loving her and all of our children. With so many compassionate souls why and how do these horrors continue to occur?
I don't understand how a human being can look at another living, breathing, innocent life and want to injure it. Snuff it out. Unimaginable. Where do we go from here? What can we do?

Jeanne Estridge said...

John Donne said, "No man is an island," and he lived BEFORE mass communication connected all our little individual islands, making every wave a tsunami that overwhelms us all.

Those poor, poor people.

Cheryl said...

I'm not a mother (yet) but I feel that maternal bond with my nieces and nephews. And...you carry something inside you for nine months, help this little person to grow up strong and beautiful and someone no longer human rips them away from you. Unimaginable, heartbreaking and so unfair.

Maggie May said...

There is going to be a run this month for CHelsea's memory and I am going to do that.

I joined a group started on her Facebook page Chelsea's Light dedicated to advocating for change and I will be doing something to help.

I thought of her parents as much as I could stand to today. I prayed for them and her brother.

I took down a CHELSEA KING MISSING sign with her picture on it because someone had ripped part of it and it made me cry to see it so I pulled over and took it down.

The signs are literally ALL OVER my town you can't drive a block without at least one and many blocks have ten.

swonderful said...

This is horrible in ten thousand ways.

Court said...

I can't even imagine the pain her family feels. My heart breaks everytime I hear about this. May God rest her soul.

Babe in Babeland said...

My heart goes out to her family so much. How tragic. I will whisper a little prayer for them.

Madeline said...

Oh. How heartbreaking. Since becoming a mother I can't look at these stories without feeling such intense pain. My heart goes out to her parents and family.

Chaos and love said...

yes. horrible. He should pay. Child molestation and child violence is a wretched cycle.......if you can break it, the light will shine through that delicate line.

I try not to judge. It's hard.

previous next