Thursday, August 12, 2010

Namesake

My mom Mary holding David ( he is an adult now ) Aunt Elizabeth, my Grandma Elizabeth, myself, my sister Lura, Margaret

I wrote this for my Mom and Grandmother after my Grandma died. Ever's middle name is in honor of my Grandmother.

***

All grips come loose.
All waves let to water. All that is whole falls apart.
All that was Mother, Is daughter.

On your skin, my skin.
(In your breath, my own.)
With your tears, my tears. (In your heart, my home.)
All connections disconnect.

All planets turn to dust.
All that is now becomes the past
All we love; We love so fast.

M.M.E.
Elisabeth said...

This is a beautiful poem, Maggie but I found my eyes lingering long over the photo of your sister Lura. She looks so happy here. Sad that things can change so much.

Still your mother and grandmother can be honoured to be so beautifully remembered.

Amber said...

It's beautiful and honest and everything a mother would need to hear after losing her own mother and it sets my heart at ease. Thank you for sharing.

Holly said...

cutest teen ever!

Lydia said...

That is a beautiful poem, Maggie. Ever's middle name is in honor of a lovely woman.
You kinda look like your Aunt Elizabeth and Lola kinda looks like your sister. Strong family resemblances shown here.

Annie said...

Hi Maggie,
Your poem is beautiful, expressing the connection between mother and child, and the ways we live on. In one sense, connections disconnect; but in other ways, they will always live on. Thank you for sharing this poem and your family photograph.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Maggie. You are so beautiful. As are each of these women. Ever beautiful.

essbesee said...

what a beautiful poem and beautiful family picture. I love the name Ever and the name Elizabeth!

Kate said...

I’ve been keeping up to date with your site, but just don’t always have time to comment (sorry). Just thought I’d say hello again so you know I’m here!
Recommended Daily Dose

Unknown said...

Awww, great picture!

Annje said...

Beautiful photo and beautiful poem. I can see the you now in your teen-age face--so sweet. I see you next to Lura and I think of your story. I am sending you a virtual hug.

Sarah said...

Hi Maggie,

You left a comment on my blog a while ago and I hadn't stopped in at your site until now. I saw you have an icon for Kate McRae- my aunt in Bosie knows their family, so I've heard much about their story through her. What a small world..?

Hope to see you back at my site sometime soon.

Take care,

Sarah

Hannah Stephenson said...

So beautiful. In my top three favorite poems of yours!!

This is very moving: "All that was Mother, Is daughter."

Wine and Words said...

This is so beautiful. I appreciate the sentiment so much...and yet...so sorry...I must say... please don't let all that is my mother be me. It was not as you lived, or anyone should have. How lucky that you wish to encompass this woman. I envy, so deeply this wish.

Beautiful poem.

* said...

A marvel, this poem, your heart, your words, the picture and the woman strength it exudes.

I spend part of today remembering my grandma who passed away in January. I miss her voice the most, how it sounded like grated carrots. Man, I love (and miss) my gram.

Therese said...

Goose bumps and tears. Do you see some of your sister in Lola's face - her eyes? I think I do. I think you're lovely.

Ronnie said...

Beautiful poem, really quite moving

Petit fleur said...

Beautiful Maggie. What a heartfelt gift.

You and your sister are adorable.

Peace,
pf

Drax said...

Beautiful poem

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Beautiful family. Beautiful poem.

It's funny, but I was sitting in the peaceful house this morning with my cup of coffee, thinking about a poem I wrote for my own grandmother when she passed.

Odd.

Love you.

Still Life With Coffee said...

Beautiful women and beautiful poem. Lucky Ever Elizabeth. :-)

Middle Child said...

Such a very beautiful poem and that photo is a real treasure - your mum looks so young - after my lovely mum died I began noticing how my hands resembled hers and wrote something about the hands of those before me and those to come - yours is put better but has the same feeling for me - thanks for sharing

Angie Muresan said...

I love that photo of you all. You, of course, haven't changed a bit. Beautiful then, beautiful now. And your sister... she's exquisite!

nick said...

A wonderful poem. You say so much in a few lines. The connections between human beings are so mysterious and so miraculous.

Eryl said...

Your poem tells a universal truth, and what an incredibly beautiful family you are part of.

Thank you for your comment on my blog, it made me smile, and has, of course, alerted me to your blog which I know I'll enjoy exploring when I have a little leisure time.

rachel red lips said...

that photo is so, so precious. you're so lucky to have it as a memento of your beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Maggie. Never fails to amaze me how you can show your heart.

previous next