Tuesday, January 31, 2012

an alarm of repetition

i cannot even begin to-


or end. or endings.

every day is farmhand and farming.
every day is movement before waking
the moon's shadows hung still
underneath your eyes.

every day is backbreaking labor
blister sun-footed stamp on the 
sides and neck
angry red footprints on your face.

the loam you run between finger and thumb
settles it's grave in your eye.
i train my spirit to circle you.
i busy myself planting.

every day is stumble footed faith.
i believe something else exists.
something beyond this.
i whisper this for you

because you do not.

dark stranger, weary farmer.
every day, an alarm of repetition.
again, the nothing and the subtractions
making rows in the corn.

all along the edges of land
you till a strange and weary beast.
i am yours through winter and starvation,
at least. 

and for the beautiful in the horror, they call and repeat:
i am yours through these days, at least, at least, at least.

maggie may ethridge










Chrissy Johnson said...

Yes. Oh my God, yes.

annton said...

beautiful. say no more.

Ms. Moon said...

You make art from your heart of hearts, from the furnace of life.
You do not let the fire consume you, you use it to bend your plowshares into submission and form and beauty.

Rianna said...

Gosh, Maggie. Amen. You have the most amazing capacity for communication through words. You are fearless; you give voice and words, to what the rest of us swallow and gulp at. xx

Beth in Atlanta said...

Gorgeous poem.

I can't remember now how I stumbled upon your blog but I'm glad I did.

Elizabeth said...

It's good to read your stunning poetry, again. I'll read this one over and over.

Amanda said...

Beautiful. You are amazing.

Caroline said...

your words are a gift to the universe, Maggie.
xo

Lone Star Ma said...

Gorgeous. Gorgeous.

Petit fleur said...

Yes. I get it.

You say it best.

N2 said...

This is a beautiful art spun from the hard row you all are currently hoeing. Keep on keeping on. x0 N2

Maggie May said...

I'm clearly vulnerable right now because your comments alone brought me to tears. What lovely, generous, kind and deeply felt readers you are.

MS MOON- I think that is one of the most generous and precious things any friend has ever said to me. I'm going to keep it for myself. I love you, thank you.

Unknown said...

amen , Maggie.
amen.

Jen @ Lifes Dewlaps said...

You made my early morning pre-coffee brain wake up. Thank you.

Rachel said...

Beautiful, beautiful poem. So glad I stumbled into it.

Annie said...

Dear Maggie,

Your poem is beautifully and expertly written, all from the heart, which makes it real and transcendent. I'm sorry you are going through pain, and your own words show you the way through. There is so much to this poem, the depth and the imagery and the allusion; and so much to you, and the love you express.

lulumarie said...

Your open heart breaks mine,
then puts it back together
with your beautifully honest words.

Jessica said...

This is beautiful, Maggie. Just beautiful.

Maggie May said...

I think I say this every time I post a poem, but that is because it is so true and important to me= thank you for reading and responding with such generosity. Thank you for giving a shit about poetry, in a day and age when few do. I feel lucky to have any response, and to have the response like this makes me happy. xo

previous next