Thursday, January 29, 2009

Magpie's Nest



( from the sketchbook of David Small, here )

*




Have you ever heard of David Small? Round here we
love his work as an illustrator and writer of children's books. He wrote this book, Imogene's Antlers, which Lola and I adore and just read tonight in bed :) The story is so quirky and the illustrations so delightful, full of life. Plus, I adore the name Imogene, which is going on My List!!







**


Yay but ye thought ye was done!

This is one of my all time favorite ever lists from McSweeneys:

What My Dad
Is Talking About
When He Yells "That's
What I'm Talking
'Bout."

BY JULIA McCLOY

- - - -

a seamless reverse layup

a quick turnaround jumpshot

three points from downtown

the effeminate way my brother sticks his pinkie out when downing a Schlitz


***

And Finally, Can I stay HERE? Let's tick the tocks:
reading in bed
reading in bed with room service
reading in bed with thousand count sheets and room service
reading in bed with an endless library at fingertips, amazing sheets, and rooms service
......

DING


Captain Dumbass said...

1. Imogene is an awesome name.
2. I'm checking out that book.
3. That McSweeney's list was great.
4. I'd love to stay there, but I don't know about the 1000 thread count sheets. I find the higher the thread count the colder the sheets get. I'll take flannel or a jersey knit. Nice and soft when you're nekkid.

Green said...

Maggie, I just love your blog...I keep coming back to check more and more out.

Lili said...

I'm curious... I will check that book too. The sketchbook is amazing, the use of color is great.

Maggie May said...

Captain i have jersey knit and they are soft like buttah.

Cindy thank you! so glad to have new bloggy friends.

lili i agree. i also love the draping lines in the cityscape.

Patois42 said...

We loved that Imogene book here.

What a delightful post you have today. Lots of beauty and fun. Thanks. I needed some beauty and fun!

Annie said...

"Imogene's Antler's" is one of my favorite children's books. I've used it in story time with school age kids, and I used to read it to my son. It's funny, the end is unexpected, and the illustrations are wonderful. I never paid much attention to who the author/illustrator was, but the name rang a bell so I looked him up. He won the Caldecott Award for "So You Want to Be President?"

Dallas Shaw said...

i'll go check this out

dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Bonbon Oiseau said...

love your favorite from mcsweeneys! and can i get the room next to yours?

Lola said...

We love Imogene here, too. I'm a jersey knit kinda girl, but I can enjoy the 1000 thread counts just as much.

Rebecca Jane said...

that list is amazing - as are the illustrations. such an interesting post, as always

Maria Killam said...

I love that name too :) Thanks for the colourful post!

Roxane said...

I'm with you on the name Imogene...one of my all time fave's.

As for the notebook/illustrations- AMAZING! I love the colors and lines

previous next